Call for Presentations
NCAC 21ST NATIONAL CONFERENCE
OCTOBER 30 - NOVEMBER 1, 2017
Renaissance Hotel Downtown
611 Commerce Street
Call for Breakout Session Presentations
The National Career Academy Coalition (NCAC) is soliciting proposals for a 75-minute breakout session presentation at the annual conference in Nashville, Tennessee during October 30 - November 1, 2017. Presentations should be informative, engaging, and focused on providing specific “takeaways” and action steps that can be taken home by conference participants and put to use. In reviewing submissions, the conference committee will prioritize proposals aligned with the ten National Standards of Practice (NSOPs), addressing the related content below that demonstrate how the session will be interactive. Specific objectives should be identified in the proposal.
- DEFINED MISSION AND GOALS: college and career connections; student aspirations; student achievement; commitment to equity; stakeholder involvement
- ACADEMY DESIGN: cross-grade articulation; student selection; cohort scheduling; physical space for the career academy; small size and supportive atmosphere; academy planning by the staff, advisory board and others
- HOST COMMUNITY AND HIGH SCHOOL: support from the Board of Education and Superintendent; support from the principal and high school administration; adequate funding, facilities, equipment and materials
- FACULTY AND STAFF: teacher leader(s)/coordinators; academy staff; support from the counselors, non-academy teachers and classified staff
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND CONTINUOUS LEARNING: common planning within the high school schedule; professional development; volunteer and parent orientation
- GOVERNANCE & LEADERSHIP: a network of support anchored by an advisory board; regular meetings; a healthy partnership between the school/academy and its host community; student voice
- TEACHING AND LEARNING: external standards; rigorous learning; sequenced, integrated and relevant curriculum; post-secondary planning; dual credit options; development of a portfolio and participation in a capstone project
- EMPLOYER, POST-SECONDARY EDUCATION AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: local industry/economic needs; community involvement; citizenship; work-based learning
- STUDENT ASSESSMENT: the collection of student data; multiple academic measurements which include items such as student attendance, retention, credits, grade point averages, state test scores, graduation rates and college going rates; the assessment of technical learning; accurate reporting; evidence of the impact of the academy
- SUSTAINABILITY: academy implementation; academy refinements which include timetables and measurable outcomes; reflection of the academy’s mission and goals
The deadline for submitting proposals is April 17, 2017. You will be notified of our decision by May 19, 2017.
Questions about proposals should be sent to Jessica Lopp at firstname.lastname@example.org
We have had to turn away some outstanding proposals because they were submitted late, so please be sure to submit yours before the April 17th, deadline.